Dickinson: The Western Edge
Meeting Planning Multimedia City Information Contact Us
Explore the Western Edge
Visitors Stay Dining/Nightlife To Do Shopping outdoors
whatdo
Home | Printer Friendly Version

Chateau de Mores State Historic Site
This site memorializes the life and activities in North Dakota of Antoine de Vallombrosa, the Marquis de Mores, who arrived in 1883. Among his enterprises were a beef packing plant, a stagecoach line, a freighting company, refrigerated railway cars, cattle and sheep raising, land ownership, and a new town which he called Medora, in honor of his wife.
701-623-4355
View Website
3426 Chateau Rd.
Medora, ND 58645
Map It
Fort Dilts State Historic Site
Located about three miles northeast of Rhame, this site marks the location of a sod-wall protective enclosure, hastily constructed by an 80-wagon party and their cavalry escort. They were attacked by Sioux Indians while en route to Montana gold fields in September 1864 and stayed corralled within the six-feet high and two-feet thick walls for fourteen days until rescued by a column of troops from Fort Rice. There is a marker on the site. North of Rhame 2.5 miles, West 1.5 miles
701-328-2666 or 701-523-3600
View Website
Rhame
Rhame, ND 58651
Map It
Fort Sauerkraut
In November of 1890, telegraph messages warned pioneers that hostile Sioux had escaped from the Standing Rock Reservation and were raiding towns as they fled to Canada. To protect themselves, the German settlers around Hebron constructed a fort made of native sod grass and dirt. The attack never happened and the settlers returned to their homes in December. The fort has been historically reconstructed on the exact site on the NW corner of Hebron.
701-878-4056
View Website
Hebron
Hebron, ND 58638
Map It
Hutmacher Farm
The Hutmacher Farm located northwest of Manning, ND, is comprised of a group of buildings contructed in the traditional ethnic architectural form that orginated in the Black Sea region of Russia and Ukraine. Stone slab structures at the Hutmacher Farm include a house, below-grade cellar, the ruins of a barn and granary, a summer kitchen, butchering shed, poultry barn and a garage (which may have stabled livestock at one time). Exterior surfaces of the sandstone walls were originally covered with a mixture of clay and chapped straw, which remains visable in several locations. The National Register of Historic Place has recognized the significance of the Hutmacher Farm.
View Website
Manning
Manning, ND 58642
Map It
Initial Rock
In 1876, while on their way to the Little Big Horn, two soliders with the 7th Cavalry chiseled their names into soft sandstone rocks in the rugged North Dakota Badlands. Privates Frank Neely and William C. Williams were riding the Custer Trail that began at Ft. Abraham Lincoln on their way to what would later be called the Battle of the Little Big Horn. The date was May 28, 1876, twelve days into a campaign that would end in disaster for Lt. Col. George Armstong Custer and his troops. Both privates survived the battle. 8 miles SE of Medora.
701-328-2666
View Website
Medora
Medora, ND 58645
Map It
Killdeer Mountain Battlefield State Historic Site
Located ten and one-half miles northwest of Killdeer, this site commemorates a battle fought on July 28, 1864, between troops commanded by General Alfred Sully and Sioux Indians. Sully's 2,200 troops, with the aid of artillery batteries, scattered the encamped village. It was reported to have contained 6,000 warriors, with losses of 5 soldiers and perhaps 100-150 indians. There is a marker on the site.
701-328-2666 or 701-764-6092
View Website
Killdeer
Killdeer, ND 58640
Map It
Last Great Buffalo Hunt Site
By 1883, only 10,000 buffalo remained in this last herd, still ranging the butte country around Hiddenwood Creek (now the communities of Hettinger, Lodgepole, and Reeder). Under constant pressure from both Indian and white hunters, their numbers dwindled. The end came in October 1883, when Sitting Bull and a thousand Sioux from Standing Rock killed the last 1,100 buffalo about 15 to 20 miles southeast of what is now Hettinger. The American buffalo had made their last stand as free-ranging herds. Phone:
701-567-2646 or 701-567-2531
View Website
Hettinger
Hettinger, ND 58639
Map It
Lynch Knife River Flint Quarries
Located east of Dunn Center, on 95th Ave., Lynch's Knife River Flint Quarries have historical value as it is where the Native Americans camped and harvested flint for their tools and weapons. This type of flint has been traded througout the continent for centuries. Privately owned, please call ahead.
701-548-8111
View Website
Dunn Center
Dunn Center, ND 58626
Map It
Old Grassy Butte Post Office
The Grassy Butte Post Office takes us back to the days when construction materials were scarce on the plains. Built in 1912 of logs and sod, this structure, which is listed in the National Register, as a historic site, housed the Grassy Butte Post Office from 1914 to 1964. It now serves as a free admission museum housing antiques and relics from the 1800's and 1900's.
701-863-6769 or 701-863-6570
View Website
409 Main St.
Grassy Butte, ND 58634
Map It
Stark County Veterans Memorial
The Stark County Vetarans Memorial is dedicated to all the men and women of Stark County who have honorably served in the Nation’s military.
701-225-9461
View Website
801 5th Ave. W.
Dickinson, ND 58601
Map It
Sully's Heart River Corral State Historic Site
Located about fourteen miles southeast of Richardton, this site marks a base camp established by General Alfred Sully during his 1864 campaign. Rifle pits were dug around the circled wagons but the camp was never attacked; many of the rifle pits are still visible. There is a marker on the site. 14 miles Southeast of Richardton.
701-328-2666
View Website
Richardton
Richardton, ND 58601
Map It
Theodore Roosevelt Elkhorn Ranch
Roosevelt selected the location for a second ranch, naming it the Elkhorn. He purchased the rights to the site, located thirty-five miles north of Medora, from the previous occupant for $400.00. Roosevelt describing the Elkhorn Ranch: "The story-high house of hewn logs is clean and neat, with many rooms, so that one can be alone if one wishes to. Rough board shelves hold a number of books, without which some of the evenings would be long indeed." 35 miles north of Medora.
701-623-4466
View Website
Medora
Medora, ND 58645
Map It
Theodore Roosevelt Maltese Cross Ranch
The Maltese Cross Ranch cabin was originally located about seven miles south of Medora in the wooded bottom-lands of the Little Missouri River. Constructed of durable ponderosa pine logs that had been cut and floated down the Little Missouri River, the cabin was considered somewhat of a "mansion" in its day, with wooden floors and three separate rooms. The steeply pitched roof, an oddity on the northern plains, created an upstairs sleeping loft for the ranch hands.
701-623-4466
View Website
Medora
Medora, ND 58645
Map It
 
FacebookTwitterYouTubeTrip AdvisorBlogTrip Planner
Check out what other travelers say about Dickinson on TripAdvisor.